The following are the salient features of this new edition:
- Extensively updated, the current edition is precise and clearly presents the essential principles of law.
- The author has referred authoritative classical texts like Hedaya and Fatawa-i-Alamgiri and recognised pronouncements of Indian courts and old judgments of the Privy Council.
- Includes the statutory changes made by the Wakf (Amendment) Act, 2013; the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019; and the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019.
- Covers significant case law, including the Vishwa Lochan Madan case; Shabnam Hashmi case; Khatoon Nisa case; Shamima Farooqui case and the Triple Talaq decision [Shayara Bano case].
- Appendix includes “Questions to Test Your Understanding of Muslim Law” to help students prepare for exams.
- The detailed subject-index and contents add to the utility of the book.
A significant feature of the book is the exhaustive analysis of the constitutional aspects of Muslim law principles. Further, it elucidates the interactions between the personal law and social ethos. Opinions of academic jurists have also been included.